Jim went to New York City and visited the Occupy Wall Street demonstration. Our dear friend, George Caffentzis, was giving a talk about how student loan debt can be used as a tool in making a stand against that 1%. LM and Jim also discuss the energy of the place, the methods of communication, and the impact this event long-term.
- Occupy Wall Street website
- Occupy Maine website
- Jim’s full recording of George’s 10/22/11 talk at Occupy Wall Street
- For the “if 1 million people each owe the bank $1000 and can’t pay, the bank is still in trouble” quote, it came from Midnight Notes (a group George founded in the 1970s) in this paper: http://midnightnotes.org/
- George’s book: No Blood For Oil
- Silvia Federici’s book: Caliban and the Witch